February 16, 2015

Homemade Powdered Ginger

Labels: ,

>

I use fresh ginger regularly but not a lot of the commercial ginger powder. A small container becomes stale, bland, and not as aromatic before I'm able to use it all up. I can't remember the last time I bought and I was shocked that it costs so much. The smallest container of McCormick® is $7.00 and some fancy bottled "gourmet" brand is $15.00. Really?

I'm cheap so I bought fresh ginger and made a tiny amount into powdered ginger. The spicy flavor is very very strong, I love the aroma, and most important, it only costs a little over $1.00. If you have the patience and a cheap coffee grinder that is used mainly to grind spices, it's worth the time to make. I only made a little so the powder doesn't go stale on me.

Homemade Powdered Ginger
unpeeled fresh ginger
  • Wash ginger in cold water making sure there aren't any dirt remaining on the skin. Dry thoroughly, slice, and coarsely chop. Place on a cookie sheet pan and leave on the kitchen counter to air dry. This may take several days depending on the humidity of your house. You may also use a food dehydrator if preferred. 
  • When completely dry, grind in batches in a coffee grinder. Sift through the finest sieve. 
  • Return the sieved powder into the grinder and grind one more time. Sift once more and store in a jar. 

Tip: To clean the coffee grinder, grind a tablespoon of uncooked rice. Discard the ground up rice, wipe the grinder and repeat with another tablespoon of rice. Air it out in between grinding other spices. 

1 comments:

ray said...

I never thought of making my own and you're right! They cost and arm and a leg for a tiny jar. Thank you, Oggi! :)

Post a Comment

 
Design by New WP Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premiumbloggertemplates.com